Business & Enterprise
NCFE Level 1/2 Technical Award in Business and Enterprise
Who is this qualification for?
This qualification is designed for learners who want an introduction to business and enterprise that includes a vocational and project-based element. The qualification will appeal to learners who wish to pursue a career in the business and enterprise sector or progress to further study.
The NCFE Level 1/2 Technical Award in Business and Enterprise complements GCSE qualifications. It is aimed at 14–16 year olds studying Key Stage 4 curriculum who are interested in the business and enterprise industry sector. This qualification is designed to match the rigour and challenge of GCSE study. The qualification is graded at Level 1 Pass/Merit/Distinction/Distinction* and Level 2 Pass/Merit/Distinction/Distinction* (equivalent to GCSE grades 8.5–1).
This Level 1/2 qualification is appropriate for learners who are looking to develop a significant core of knowledge and understanding in business and enterprise and how to apply their learning.
This qualification has been designed to sit alongside the requirements of core GCSE subjects and is appropriate for learners who are motivated and challenged by learning through hands-on experiences and through content which is concrete and directly related to those experiences.
It is distinct from GCSE Business Studies, as it encourages the learner to use knowledge and practical enterprise tools to prepare them for business. They will develop significant personal and vocational business skills that can be transferred to further study or employment.
The study of business and enterprise involves understanding key business and enterprise areas such as, legal structures, marketing, market research, operations management, resource planning, human resources, funding, finance and business and enterprise planning.
The qualification focuses on an applied study of the business and enterprise sector and learners will gain a broad understanding and knowledge of working in the sector.
What will the learner study as part of this qualification?
This qualification shows learners how to:
- understand entrepreneurial characteristics and business aims and objectives
- legal structures, organisational structures and stakeholder engagement
- understand the marketing mix, market research, market types and orientation types
- understand operations management
- understand internal and external influences on business
- understand research, resource planning and growth for business
- understand human resource requirements for a business start-up
- understand sources of enterprise funding and business finance
- understand business and enterprise planning
What knowledge and skills will the learner develop as part of this qualification and how might these be of use and value in further studies?
Learners will develop skills and knowledge:
- in adapting their own ideas and responding to feedback
- in evaluating their own work
- analysing data and making decisions that are essential for the business and enterprise sector, such as evaluation skills; responding to data; independent working; working to deadlines; efficient use of resources.
The knowledge and skills gained will provide a secure foundation for careers in the business and enterprise sector.
Which subjects will complement this course?
The following GCSE subject areas will complement this qualification by further broadening application of skills in the context of business and enterprise:
This list is not exhaustive and a range of other subject areas may also be appropriate.